
Yesterday when we were in Dresden, we passed a really old lady fallen on the ground, shaking like she was having a seizure or something. She wasn't from Germany, maybe spain or italy or something, but she couldn't speak german or english.
Some other old german ladies stopped and tried to help her up, but she just held out her cup for money.
We were like man that sucks- who knows if she really needs help, she probably just wants money.
But I couldn't keep walking.. I felt sick inside to just walk by her. All these verses were going through my head... what you do to the least of these, you do unto me... good samaritan... the beggar at the wall, Peter said money i don't have, but the love and power of Jesus...
And so we talked about it, some of the girls were like she's probably there everyday, she just wants money, she wouldn't even let those ladies help her up... But I looked over there and a bunch of german teenagers were standing right in front of her laughing at her.
I was like we can at least go pray for her, and everyone agreed. We went over there and she held out her cup for money and a few of us stuck some change in it, but we put our arms around her and started praying- that God would help her to not feel alone, that He would let her know that He knows every part of her story, He's always been with her and he loves her.
She started crying really hard, we couldn't see her face because it was right next to the ground, but she kept wiping her sleeve and it was wetter and wetter everytime. She lifted up her sleeve and she had a bracelet with a rosary of mary and jesus and she pointed to it. It was an amazing moment. I started trying to lift her up, and she held out the cup again, but i ignored it and we all started lifting her up. We took to her to one of the walls of a building close by that she could lean against and she kept crying and crying, and we just held her hand and rubbed her back. She pointed to the bracelet again, and I pointed to it and then to her heart. She nodded yes and i pointed to my heart. Then she started kissing all of our hands and most of us were crying at that point. She held out her hand with a 2 euro coin in it and we all said no no! And then she hugged us. She never looked at us in the eyes though.
I feel like that was a moment I won't ever forget. Haha, shane claiborne moment. I hope we just made her feel like she was worth something again, that us stopping and caring about her meant something to her, and that she felt like God loves her. :-)
Sorry that was so long...dang.

5 comments:
So beautiful.
Bringing Jesus to this woman. Jesus with skin on. She'll never forget.
wow...amazing
That's so awesome that she couldn't understand you, but she knew that you were praying.
Loved reading this - I hope you are chronicling all of your experiences not only through pictures, but writing. AMAZING
Post a Comment